Earl Grey black tea is one of the most popular afternoon tea. Adding Earl Grey into the traditional pound cake gives the cake a delightful fragrance, as well as making the cake less heavy to eat – after all the pound cake has nearly a pound of butter in it!
Yield: 3 small loaves
- 2tsp Earl Grey tea leaves
- 250g Icing sugar
- 5 Eggs, room temperature
- 100g Evaporated milk
- 320g sifted flour
- 5g baking powder
- 1 tsp lemon zest, grated
- 300g Butter, unsalted, softened
- Grind the Earl Grey tea to powder using pestle and mortar.
- Beat butter, adding icing sugar gradually till the mixture becomes pale.
- Add eggs one by one, mix well each time before adding another egg.
- Add evaporated milk, flour and baking powder.
- Mix in finely ground tea leaves and lemon zest.
- Place batter into 3 cake tins.
- Bake in the convection oven at 170ºC for 45 minutes.