Okonomiyaki is like a ‘"Japanese pizza", made with flour, eggs, shredded cabbage, meat and topped with a variety of condiments.
It is a specialty from Osaka and you can make it with some dinner leftover in the pancake.
It is a tasty treat for lunch or dinner. Kids would love their well-shredded cabbage in this pancake. using the Thermocook.
Though it looks like a lot of steps and ingredients, by using the Thermocook, it is actually a very quick dish. Think of making savoury cabbage pancake-ala-frittata. Go free style with your sauces and filling.
The Matcha fried onion is an awesome addition we created. A very tasty treat to add the extra crunch to our version of Okonomiyaki!
- 300g cabbage, break into palm size pieces
- 1 carrot, cut into 5cm chunks
- 1 small onion, cut into 2 halves
- 100 grams plain flour
- 1 egg
- 160g water
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 cake of instant noodles
- 2 spring onions, cut fine
Sauces + Condiments
- Okonomiyaki sauce: Worchester sauce or Chu Hou sauce + BBQ sauce or liquid smoke + ketchup + water
- Mayonaise + Roasted sesame seeds
- Dried Bonito flakes or roasted pork
- Matcha + Fried Onion (really nice - adding some crunch)
- Place cabbage in Thermocook*, chop for 30 seconds or until grated about 2cm pieces. Take out and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Place carrot chunks and onion in Thermocook, chop for 30 seconds or until similar size to cabbage. Take out and add to cabbage in mixing bowl.
- Cook the instant noodle in a saucepan with boiling water till slightly undercooked. Strained and set aside.
- Place the rest of part A ingredients into Thermocook, set to Smoothie setting for 20 seconds or until well mixed.
- Pour Part B mixture into mixing bowl with chopped veggies, add spring onion and mix lightly.
- Place a large flat frying pan on medium heat. Place about 1 tablespoon oil on the pan.
- Scoop about 1 ladle of pancake mixture in the middle of the pan, flatten slightly with your hand or a spatula.
- Add a handful of cooked noodles all over the pancake.
- Add a little more pancake mixture on top of the noodles, to help it to stick to the bottom part of the pancake.
- When the side of the pancake looks cooked, gently but in one smooth quick motion, flip the pancake around. Cook the other side until done
- Slide the pancake onto a flat plate, drizzle your sauces and drop some of the condiments on top. Make sure you add the Matcha fried onions. They are super tasty :)