Like a lighter version of the sticky date budding, the use of Vanilla black tea gives this cake a lighter mouth feel. This is a moist cake that is easy AND QUICK to make. No eggs required.
Makes 1 loaf
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 60 g butter or margarine, sliced (or cut small)
- 1 cup hot vanilla black tea (freshly brewed)
- 1¾ cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- Put chopped dates and sugar in a bowl and then add sliced butter.
- Pour in boiling water, stirring until butter has melted completely.
- Add sifted flour and then bicarbonate of soda, mixing well.
- Bake in a well-greased loaf tin in a 180ºC oven for 45 to 50 minutes.
To purchase the ingredient Vanilla Black Tea, visit Teas.com.au