No need for an icecream maker! This is a great icecream that resembles gelato.
Cocoa Haven works well in this icecream, but other flavoured black tea will work too.
Though cornstarch is not a must to making icecream, it does stabilise the mixture, especially the icecream that has less fat like this one. It makes the icecream softer and no defrosting is needed before serving unlike most home-made icecream.
Ingredients (Makes 1 litre icecream)
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tbsp Cocoa Haven
- 1 cup sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 cup cream
- a handful of choc chip* (optional)
- Heat milk in a saucepan on a stove, when the milk is becoming warm, add tea leaves.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, stir often. Turn off heat, cover and let the milk mixture sit for another 10 minutes.
- Beat sugar and egg yolks together. Put the milk mixture back on low heat, pour in egg mixture. Cook until mixture thickens.
- Use about 1 tbsp cream to dissolve the cornstarch in a small bowl, then pour it into the egg mixture. Stir well. When the mixture is thick enough to coat a spoon, then turn off heat.
- Strain, add cream and salt. Stir to mix well.
- Let the mixture cool to room temperature, add choc chip.
- Pour into small cups or bowls and put in the freezer until frozen.
*Get Your Chocolate Chips from our friendly produce partner Harris Farm (aff link)