Bubble tea has taken the world by storm. While most shops are serving powdered tea mixed with flavours, you can certainly upgrade your bubble tea and still have lots of fun drinking it!
TAPIOCA 6 to 10 servings
- 1 cup tapioca pearls (see Note)
- 6 to 8 cups water
- 1 cup sugar to taste
- Bring water to boil in a large pot. Add tapioca.
- Cover and boil 25 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand 25 minutes. Drain and rinse the tapioca. Cover with sugar.
PEARL MILK TEA
- Mix all ingredients except tapioca in a container with a lid.
- Shake until well-blended.
- Add tapioca and ice to a separate cup, pour in tea and serve with a straw that is large enough for pearls to fit through. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Variations: To make bubble tea, add 2 tablespoons fruit flavoring (in syrup or juice form) to above recipe. Milk can be omitted if desired. To make fresh-fruit bubble tea, add 1 cup crushed or minced fresh fruit to pearl milk tea. Milk may be omitted if desired.
Writer: Columbus Dispatch, except introduction, Nov 2004
Source: Columbus Dispatch, except introduction
Teas.com.au Tips –
- Most Bubble tea in shopping mall kiosks is made with powder or syrup tea. So bubble tea is fun to drink, but not marketed as a “quality tea”.
- Any tea can be added to cooked “bubble pearls” to make Bubble Tea.
- The pearls can be stored for a couple of days in a tub after it’s cooked.