The simple addition of the aromatic lavender makes this plain custard based icecream almost magical.
Perhaps it brings back the sweet childhood memory…by a lavender cottage…
Make 1 litre icecream
- 1 cup (250ml) thicken cream
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 3 tsp lavender
- 1 tsp lavender optional for garnish#
- Combine milk and cream in a saucepan. Bring the mixture to simmering point over low heat.
- Add 3 tsp lavender to the mixture, stir well and let it simmer for another 5 minutes. Then turn off the heat, cover the saucepan for another 5 minutes for the lavender to infuse further.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl until light and creamy.
- Gradually whisk in egg yolk mixture into the hot milk in the saucepan until well combined.
- Stir constantly with a wooden spoon, over low heat until mixture thickens and coasts the back of the spoon without dripping. Do not allow the mixture to boil or it will curdle.
- (optional step)Pour the icecream mixture through a fine seive and use a tablespoon to press the icecream mixture through. Disgard used lavender.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and allow to cool before placing in the fridge to chill for at least several hours covered.
- Pour the chilled mixture into the icecream machine and churn according manufacturer’s instructions. (It takes the Sunbeam Gelateria machine about 10 minutes to churn)
- Suggestion: add about 2 tsp lemon juice to the icecream mixture before churning to mellow out the lavender taste a little bit.
- # garnish: If you have taken the optional step of pouring the icecream mixture through the seive, you can add back the 1 tsp fresh lavender in the icecream mixture during churning.
Visit Teas.com.au for the ingredients.