These buns are great as breakfast or afternoon tea treats. Nice and soft with a slightly sticky soft crust. The Russian Caravan tea gives it a full body smoky touch!
Makes 6 buns
- 2 tsp Russian Caravan Black Tea
- 2oz / 60ml boiling water
- 8oz / 125g High Grade / Bread Flour (not Bread Mix)
- 11g (roughly 11/2 sachet) dried yeast
- 25g butter
- 3oz / 90ml warm water
- 12g sugar
- a pinch of salt
- a pinch of white sesame seeds
Filling (quantity to suit your liking):
- Diced ham
- Spring Onion, chopped
- Half onion, finely diced
- A pinch of chicken stock powder or salt
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- Ground Russian Caravan Black Tea either using the back of a Chinese chopper as shown in photo or a pestle and mortar until fine.
- Add 60ml boiling water to ground leaves. Cover (with a plate) and let it infuse. Mix the rest of the Dough ingredients.
- Add Russian Caravan infusion (including the ground leaves) into the dough. Mix well. The dough should be elastic and doesn?t stick to the side of the bowl (add a little more flour if needed, but the dough should remain moist).
- In a clean mixing bowl, sprinkle lightly with flour and place the dough. Sprinkle a little more flour on top of the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and a warm towel. Place in a warm place for 30 minutes to rise.
- Knock back to expel air after 30 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap then warm towel again and let the dough rise for another 30 minutes in a warm place.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celcius.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and lightly roll out to a rectangle roughly 20cm wide and 30cm high.
- Sprinkle all filling ingredients onto dough except sesame seeds. Roll with a light hand into a log shape.
- Dip a sharp knife in water then cut the log into roughly 4cm wide pieces and lay them flat on a baking tray lined with baking paper, at least 2-3cm apart.
- Cover the dough again with plastic wrap and a warm towel. Let it rise for a further 20 minutes.
- Brush the dough with a mix of 1 tbsp milk with 1 tsp honey and sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Place the dough in an oven and bake for 10 minutes or golden brown.
- Enjoy when it’s hot! Try pairing these buns with a cup of good Golden Danchong oolong.