A twist to two traditional desserts – Japanese matcha icecream with red bean paste and Italian traditional vanilla gelato recipe. This tasty treat is quite sweet in the old world dessert way, and refreshng after an Asian feast.
- 250 ml whole milk (full cream milk)
- 1/3 cup skimmed milk powder
- 3 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoon custard powder
- 1 small can of sweet azuki (red bean)
- pinch of ginger powder
(optional, but will taste less sweetened)
- a tiny drop of red colouring, if desired a slightly redder colour
- 2 tablespoon Matcha green tea powder
- 20ml warm water
- Put all the ingredients, except the custard powder, into a saucepan and heat gently stirring all the time. Bring slowly up to boiling point and immediately pour the heated mixture through a sieve into a large mixing bowl.
- Spoon out about 2 tablespoon of milk mixture into a small bowl, add custard powder and mix well. Then stir into the milk mixture. Return to heat and stir constantly till mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and pour through a sieve into a large bowl.
- Mix milk mixture with azuki bean paste (can be bought from Asian food store). Stir well.
- When slightly cool, put mixture into the freezer for about 1 hour. Then transfer it into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Mix matcha with warm water and place the tea in a shallow dish. Freeze till frozen, then use a fork, plough through the ice sheet to make granito.
- In a small chilled glass, spoon in gelato, then spoon in granito.
What are you waiting for? Get your tea ingredients now on our website @ Teas.com.au