No need for an icecream maker! This is a great icecream that resembles gelato. Sundance and Earl Grey Romantica works well in this icecream, but other flavoured black tea will work too.
Though cornstarch is not a must to making icecream, it does stabilise the mixture, especially the icecream that has less fat like this one. It makes the icecream softer and no defrosting is needed before serving unlike most home-made icecream.
Ingredients (Makes 1 litre icecream)
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tbsp Sundance black tea
- 1 heap tsp Earl Grey Romantica
- 1 cup sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 cup cream
- Heat milk in a saucepan on a stove, when the milk iis becoming warm, add tea leaves.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, stir often. Turn off heat, cover and let the milk mixture sit for another 10 minutes.
- Beat sugar and egg yolks together. Put the milk mixture back on low heat, pour in egg mixture. Cook until mixture thickens.
- Use about 1 tbsp cream to dissolve the cornstarch in a small bowl, then pour it into the egg mixture. Stir well. When the mixture is thick enough to coat a spoon, then turn off heat.
- Strain, add cream and salt. Stir to mix well.
- Pour into small cups or bowls and put in the freezer until frozen.
Wonderful Oolong Tea
Today I drank two wonderful cups of oolong tea as I spent the day blogging for pleasure and blogging for work. In the...
Genmai pours the tea - How Genmaicha came to be
Once upon a time in a land far far away called Japan during the days of the Samurai, there lived a servant named Genm...